Beaufort-Jasper Head Start is one of several programs sponsored by Beaufort-Jasper EOC. Head Start is a federally funded program that promotes school readiness of children ages birth to five from low-income families by supporting their development in a comprehensive way to meet their educational developmental, emotional, social, health, mental health and nutritional needs. Parents and families are supported in achieving their own goals, such as housing stability, continued education, and financial security. Programs support and strengthen parent-child relationships and engage families around children’s learning and development.
Since 1965, Beaufort-Jasper EOC Head Start Program has served thousands of children in Beaufort and Jasper Counties. Beaufort-Jasper Head Start serves children from 6 weeks thorough 4 years old. The programs funded enrollment includes 439 Head Start preschool slots and 120 Early Head Start slots serving infant, toddlers and prenatal mothers.
Head Start and Early Head Start programs provide services to over a million children annually nationwide.
Our mission at Beaufort-Jasper EOC Head Start is to provide quality services to our community through the empowerment of children, families, and staff.
- Providing a program support network through staff development, team building and open communications;
- Providing quality services such as Nutrition, Health, Education, Disabilities, Social Services, Family Literacy, and Parent Involvement;
- Providing the best early childhood experience;
- Ensuring program excellence and development through advocacy, collaboration and coordination;
- Encouraging family participation in program development and services.
Beginning the enrollment process is easy! A Head Start Application will need to be completed along with the submission of the following items:
- Enrollment application English Spanish
- Proof of Income – PREVIOUS YEAR TAX INFO or one month proof of income is required (If you get paid bi-weekly we will need two pay stubs, if you get paid weekly, four must be provided.)
- Proof of child’s health insurance (Private or Medicaid)
- Child’s birth certificate
Head Start Locations
St. Helena Early Learning Center: 843-838-6880
Leroy Gilliard Center (Port Royal)-843-524-5100
Beaufort Elementary Head Start-843-322-2600
Shanklin Elementary Head Start-843-466-3400
Davis Elementary Head Start-843-466-3600
Hardeeville Elementary Head Start-843-310-1888(ext. 3100)
Ridgeland Elementary Head Start-843-489-8845(ext. 3205)
Sandalwood Center (Hilton Head)-843-681-6617